Foster Care & Child Abuse Stats
Outcomes for young adults who spent time in the current foster care system:
- 25% will become homeless within 4 years of leaving the system
- 71% of girls will be pregnant by age 21
- 50% will be unemployed at age 24
- 1 in 4 will experience PTSD: 5 times more likely than the general population
- 7 times more likely to develop drug addiction
- 75% of females and 33% of males will rely on government assistance
- Females are 10X as likely and males are 4X as likely to commit a crime
- 80% of the prison population once was in foster care
- Studies estimate up to 80% of sexually trafficked victims were in foster care
Did you know?
The leading cause of death of children age 4 and under is child abuse.
Not all children who have been abused become abusers. However, 99% of abusers where abused as children.
Child Abuse Stats
- The United States has the worst record among industrialized nations- 4 to 7 children dying each day as a result of abuse. An average of 1,580 per year is reported by states.
- ¼ of your child’s elementary school class will be effected by child abuse.
- Children who experience abuse or neglect are 9x more likely to get involved in criminal activity.
- The economic burden in the United States for fatal and non-fatal child maltreatment is $124 billion dollars (2008).
- 36% of incarcerated women were victims of child abuse.
- 80% of child fatalities are linked to one parent being the perpetrator.